Recipe: Oven-baked beetroot risotto
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 6/ 200 ° C/ fan oven 180 ° C.
- Warm the oil in an ovenproof casserole dish over a medium heat. Add the onion, season well, and fry, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until the onion has started to soften.
- Stir in the rice and beetroot, then add the wine and cook, stirring, for 2– 3 minutes or until the wine has been absorbed. Stir in the hot vegetable stock, cover with a tight fitting lid and bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Stir in the Parmesan, butter and dill. Taste and adjust the seasoning, then serve on warm plates with a peppery green salad. KITCHEN TIP Leftover risotto can be shaped into rounds, dipped in flour and fried in a splash of olive oil, turning once, until crunchy and heated all the way through. Serve with salad and a poached egg.
- 10 minutes to prepare
- 8 minutes active cooking
- 40 minutes total cooking time
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 300g dried risotto rice
- 250g cooked beetroot, not stored in vinegar, finely chopped
- 150ml white wine, such as Pinot Grigio
- 700ml hot vegetable stock
- 50g Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 25g butter
- 1 tbsp fresh dill, roughly chopped
- Green salad
©Elena Cimelli. The Contented Calf Cookbook
Recipes & FoodArancini and salad
Arancini and salad Leftover risotto? We've got a wonderful recipe to jazz it up...
Recipes & FoodFondant hedgehog cupcakes
Fondant hedgehog cupcakes Want to learn how to make these lovely cupcake-...
Recipes & FoodPressed sandwiches
Pressed sandwiches These posh pressed sandwiches would make a great addition to...
Recipes & FoodAlmond granola bars
Almond granola bars These almond-scented granola bars are a wonderful, healthy...