You can bake the bars in a rectangular tin or, for a more decorative look, a 9in fluted, loose-based tart tin. If using a tart tin, cut wedges rather than bars.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a 9in x 13in baking tin.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour and 1 cup of icing sugar. Using your fingers, work the melted butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture is a moist and crumbly dough. Place the dough in the baking tin. Press it evenly into the bottom and ½in up the sides of the tin.
- Bake until the crust is just golden brown – about 15 minutes. Remove the tin from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Spread the curd over the crust. Return to the oven and bake until the curd is lightly golden – about 10 minutes. Let cool completely. Cut into bars and dust with the remaining icing sugar before serving.
- 2 cups plain flour, sifted
- 1 cup icing sugar, plus
- ¼ cup for dusting
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1½ cups ready made citrus curd
- Makes about 12 bars
At the Farmer's Market with Kids: Recipe and Projects for Little Hands by Leslie Jonath