Thursday, 03 September 2015
Fondant hedgehog cupcakes
Want to learn how to make these lovely cupcake-topping hedgehogs? Read on...
For the hedgehogs:
- Roll out the powder-blue sugarpaste to guide-stick thickness and cut out the 4cm (1 1/5 in) body circle.
- Elongate the circle slightly and pinch at one end to make his nose.
- Use a small pair of scissors to make little cuts around the body for spikes, then make small indentations with the tip of a sharp knife.
- Mould tiny pieces of yellow sugarpaste for the face and add two tiny balls of brown sugarpaste for the little eye and nose.
- Make a small cut for the mouth and stick on two tiny balls for the paw.
- Leave to set, at least overnight, and once your cupcake is iced and set place on top of the cupcake and seal with a tiny bit of royal icing.
Icing the cupcakes:
- Place the fondant icing sugar into a bowl and stir in a few splashes of warm water. You are looking for a treacle-like consistency, so it clings to the spoon but will drop off if it's held aloft. Stir slowly until you have the right smooth consistency with no dry sugar bits. Split the mixture between bowls to make the separate colours.
- Add colouring a little by little to the bowls until you are happy with the shade. The coloured icing will look slightly darker when it sets – paste colours are very strong so you only need a tiny amount.
- Take a clean dessertspoon and slowly spoon the fondant onto the middle of your cupcake. The liquid fondant will slowly start to spread towards the edges of the case, and you should be able to tell if you need to add a little more.
- To encourage the fondant to settle flat on the cakes gentle tap them on the work surface until the icing has flooded the case.
- If you notice tiny bubbles appearing in the icing, pop them with a cocktail stick, then tap it again to flatten the icing.
- Leave to set for 24 hours until the icing is set hard, then top with the woodland creatures. Add a tiny dab of royal icing or use edible glue to stick them on if you need to.
For the cupcakes:
- Baked cupcakes (vanilla, lemon and orange work best)
- 500g pack fondant icing to top
- 3tbsp boiled water
- Paste colours (autumn leaf, dark brown and gooseberry work well)
For the hedgehog:
This and more great recipes are featured in Cakeology by Juliet Sear (£20, Hardie Grant Books).
- Coloured sugarpaste (powder blue, yellow and ivory mix to make a yellow, and chocolate brown and poppy mix for the facial details and paws)
- Royal icing