Thursday, 08 October 2015
Yellow lentil soup with coconut
A warming, creamy soup to brighten up the table on chilly autumn days
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan and fry the onion, carrot, curry powder and turmeric until soft.
- Add the coconut milk, lentils and 700ml of water, bring to the boil, then simmer, covered, for 20 minutes until soft.
- Leave the soup chunky or blend it until smooth, then return it to the pan. Add enough extra water to obtain the consistency you prefer.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and lemon or lime juice. Spoon into bowls
and sprinkle with the coriander leaves, peppers and chickpeas, and serve with crusty bread.
- Rapeseed oil, for frying
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and coarsely grated
- 2–3 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 400ml coconut milk
- 200g dried yellow or red lentils
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon or 1 lime
This and more great recipes are featured in Very Veggie Family Cookbook by Sarah Ask and Lisa Bjärbo (£14.99, Pavilion Books).
- A few coriander leaves
- Chopped peppers
- Toasted chickpeas or croûtons
- Crusty bread