Thursday, 08 October 2015
Deep-fried avocado with lime aioli
A great new way to try avocado as a posh treat for the family
- First make the aioli. Mix together the egg yolks, vinegar and mustard in a steady bowl, preferably so heavy that you don't have to hold it while whisking.
- Pour the oil into a jug or something similar and add very slowly to the egg mixture while also whisking vigorously, until the aioli thickens.
- Add garlic and lime juice to taste.
- For the avocado, mix the flour and salt together on a plate.
- Beat the eggs together with a fork on a deep plate.
- Put the breadcrumbs on a third plate.
- Cut the avocados into chunks and dip each chunk
first into the flour, then in the egg and finally in the panko, and then deep-fry gently or pan-fry in oil until golden and crispy. (For the latter method you won't need as much oil.) Drain on kitchen paper and serve with the aioli.
- 55g plain flour
- ½ tsp herb seasoning
- 1-2 eggs
- 80g panko breadcrumbs (or standard dried breadcrumbs)
- 2 avocados (preferably too hard rather than too soft)
- Olive oil, for deep frying
For the lime aioli:
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 250ml rapeseed oil
- 1 garlic clove
- Juice of 1 lime
This and more great recipes are featured in Very Veggie Family Cookbook by Sarah Ask and Lisa Bjärbo (£14.99, Pavilion Books).