Monday, 09 November 2015
Why not try a slightly healthier twist on the classic bolognese and use leaner turkey mince instead?
- Heat 2 tbsp of the olive oil in a large, heavy-based pan or flameproof casserole dish over a medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrot and courgette, and sauté for about 6 minutes until softened but not browned.
- Add the mixed herbs and garlic, and cook for 2-3 minutes more. Tip the mixture into a bowl, wipe the pan and add the remaining oil.
- Add the minced turkey to the pan, breaking it up with a fork or wooden spoon to make sure there are no big lumps. Cook over a medium heat for 5-7 minutes until the mince starts to brown.
- Add the cooked vegetable mixture and tomatoes to the mince and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low and leave the sauce to simmer for at least 1 hour, and up to 3 hours.
- Cook the pasta according to packet instructions. Pour the sauce over the pasta, and serve topped with Parmesan cheese.
What you need:
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 courgette, chopped
- 2 tbsp dried mixed herbs
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 500g minced turkey
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Spaghetti or tagliatelle, and Parmesan cheese, to serve
From The Little Dish Family Cookbook (£14.99, Sphere).