Tuesday, 01 December 2015
Nougat with cherries and toasted almonds
Sweeties for the adults - packed full of nuts, cherries and apricots, and flavoured with orange blossom honey - these make great presents
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Lightly grease a 15cm square tin, 5cm deep, and line the base and sides with a sheet of rice paper.
- Lightly toast the nuts on a baking tray in the oven until pale golden. Cool, then roughly chop. Cut the cherries in half, tip into a sieve and rinse under cold running water. Dry well on kitchen paper. Roughly chop the apricots.
- Heat the honey, sugar and water over a medium heat, stirring occasionally until the sugar has dissolved. Increase the heat, bring the mixture to the boil, and to cook for about 10 minutes, until it reaches 164°C on a sugar thermometer. Remove from the heat.
- In a large heatproof bowl, whisk the egg white with a pinch of salt until it holds soft peaks. Continue to whisk while adding the hot honey mixture in a steady stream. Keep whisking until the mixture stiffens and turns pale cream. Stir in the nuts and fruit. Spoon into the tin and level off. Press another sheet of rice paper on top and set aside to cool. Once cold, tip onto a board and cut in pieces.
What you need:
- 2 large sheets of rice paper
- 100g blanched Marcona almonds
- 50g shelled, unsalted pistachios
- 100g natural-coloured glacé
- 50g dried apricots
- 175g clear orange blossom honey
- 300g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 large egg white
- Pinch of salt
From Gifts from the Kitchen by Annie Rigg (£14.99, Kyle Cathie).