Thursday, 07 January 2016
Snow White's candy apples
Enchant your family with these sugar sweet red candy apples
- Place the syrup, water, sugar and cream of tartar in a saucepan and bring to the boil over a medium heat.
- While the mixture is heating, remove the stems from the washed apples and insert the cake pop sticks.
- Using a candy thermometer, boil the mixture until it reaches 150°C – the bubbles will become smaller and closer together. Once it has reached the correct temperature, take the saucepan off the heat and stir in a few drops of the red food colouring.
- Dip the apples in the syrup mixture one by one to coat them all over, then place them on a piece of baking parchment to set.
- Once all the apples have been dipped, add a few drops of the black food colouring to darken the remaining syrup mixture (you may need to reheat it, as it will set very quickly). Using a spoon, drop some of the darker mixture over the tops of the apples and allow it to drip down the sides.
- Leave to set and harden before serving.
What you need:
- 100ml corn syrup (or golden syrup)
- 200ml water
- 250g sugar
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- 8 apples, washed
- 8 cake pop sticks
- Red and black food colouring
From Fairy Tale Baking by Ramla Khan (£12.99, Apple Press).