Thursday, 07 January 2016
Little Red Riding Hood's Black Forest Cupcakes
Make storytime extra special and light up their imagination with these fairytale bakes
- Preheat the oven to 170°C. Line a cupcake pan with 12 cases.
- Melt the butter and chocolate together until just melted (don’t overheat); make the coffee by mixing the granules with 50ml of boiling water. Allow both to cool.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour and cocoa powder. Add the sugar.
- Beat the eggs in a separate bowl and add the buttermilk.
- Once the chocolate mixture and coffee have cooled, add them to the flour and mix well, then add the eggs and beat for a minute. Split the mixture evenly between the cases and bake for about 20 minutes, until the tops spring back when lightly touched. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before transferring to a rack to cool completely.
- While they are cooling, prepare the cherry filling. Place the pitted cherries in a saucepan over a low heat until the juices start to escape, simmer for 10 minutes, then remove from the heat.
- Mix together the sugar and cornflour and add to the cherries.
- Return the pan to the heat and stir until the mixture thickens. Set aside to cool.
- Scoop out the centre of the cakes with a teaspoon and fill with the cherry mixture.
- Pipe a swirl of buttercream on the cupcakes and drizzle over some of the remaining cherry juices. Top with chocolate shavings and cherries.
What you need:
- 100g unsalted butter
- 100g dark chocolate
- ½ tsp instant coffee granules
- 90g self-raising flour
- 15g cocoa powder
- 175g sugar
- 2 eggs
- 40ml buttermilk
- 175g pitted fresh cherries, plus 12
whole cherries for decorating
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 500g buttercream (recipe here)
- Chocolate shavings
From Fairy Tale Baking by Ramla Khan (£12.99, Apple Press).