Monday, 21 March 2016
Tuna and sesame lollipops
Because who said lollipops had to be sweet?
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C. Spread the sesame seeds on a baking tray lined with baking parchment, and toast in the oven for 10 minutes until lightly golden. Cool.
- Meanwhile, using a 3-4cm round cutter or the rim of a shot glass, cut out 4 circles from each tuna steak (place trimmings in the fridge to use another time). Roll the outsides of the tuna circles in the sesame seeds to form a crust. Season to taste (omit salt for small children).
- Heat a griddle pan over a high heat with a small splash of oil, then flash-fry the tuna circles for around 30 seconds. Insert a lollipop stick through the middle of each.
- To make the dip, place the cola and soy sauce in a small pan, bring to the boil, then simmer. Allow the liquid to reduce by about 90 per cent until it becomes syrupy.
What you need:
- 50g sesame seeds
- 2 tuna steaks, approximately 150g each and about 1cm thick
- Sesame oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the dip:
- 500ml cola
- 50ml soy sauce
From Social Eats: Food to Impress Your Mates from the Pop-Up King by Jimmy Garcia (£19.99, Kyle Books).