Thursday, 14 April 2016
What a fabulous way to introduce fun into your food - homemade fortune cookies!
- Preheat the oven to 190°C. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Beat the egg whites until they start to froth up. Add the sugar and continue whisking for a minute. Add the flour, melted butter, cream, vanilla and salt and whisk until all is incorporated.
- Bake only 3 or 4 cookies at a time. Place about a tablespoon of batter for each cookie on one baking sheet, leaving lots of space. Spread batter in a circle.
- Bake for about 5 minutes, until the cookies have turned gold brown around the edges. Remove the baking sheet from the oven, quickly place a fortune in the centre of each cookie and fold the cookie in half. Bring the 2 corners of the cookie together and press together. Place the folded cookie into a muffin tin to help it keep its shape. Quickly repeat with the remaining cookies.
- Continue baking 3 or 4 cookies at a time, alternating baking sheets so you don’t put cookie batter on a hot sheet.
- The cookies will keep in an airtight container for up to 5 days
Makes 3 dozen
What you need:
- 4 egg whites
- 250ml caster sugar
- 250ml all-purpose flour
- 80ml melted butter
- 45ml whipping cream
- 5ml pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of fine sea salt
From The Kitchen Table Cookbook by Moira Sanders (£19.74, Whitecap Books).