Friday, 15 April 2016
Vanilla cupcakes with chocolate frosting
Try these healthy and delicious cupcakes on the little ones
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Line a 12-cup cupcake tin with cases.
- In a pan, melt the coconut butter, coconut milk and rice malt syrup, with the beans from the vanilla pod. Take off the heat and set aside to cool.
- Separate the eggs. Whisk the whites to stiff peaks and set aside. Stir the egg yolks through the cooled coconut mixture, followed by the coconut flour.
- Fold the whisked egg whites through the coconut mixture until they’re just combined, taking care not to lose too much air from the mixture.
- Use an ice cream scoop to evenly distribute the batter between the cupcake cases and bake in the oven for 30 minutes, or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Prepare the frosting by whisking together the coconut oil, coconut milk, maple syrup, cocoa powder and vanilla powder until smooth and glossy. Dip each cupcake into the frosting and turn to allow the excess to drip off. Alternatively, place the frosting in the fridge for 5 minutes to firm up before spreading over the top of the cupcakes. Then top as you wish.
What you need:
- 125ml coconut butter
- 375ml coconut milk
- 125ml rice malt syrup
- 1 vanilla bean pod
- 6 eggs
- 100g coconut flour
For the chocolate frosting:
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 3 tbsp coconut milk
- 3 tbsp maple syrup or sweetener of choice
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp vanilla powder
- Fresh fruit, nuts, seeds or coconut, to decorate
From Real Food Kids by Jess Lomas (£8.99, Wilkinson Publishing).