Friday, 15 April 2016
Potato wedges with guacamole
Step away from the freezer and discover these healthy and delicious homemade wedges
- Heat the oven to its highest setting.
- Slice the potatoes into even, chip-shaped chunks. Steam them over a pan of simmering water for 10 minutes, until a knife easily goes through them.
- Transfer the potatoes to a bowl, pour over the oil and toss gently. Spread the potatoes out evenly on an oven tray and bake for 25 minutes, turning frequently, until crisp. It can be easier to use an egg flip or spatula to slide under the wedges and turn, rather than using tongs.
- Remove the wedges from the oven and season with sea salt and smoked paprika, if desired.
- To prepare the guacamole, put the avocado flesh, lemon juice and zest, sea salt and black pepper in the bowl of a food processor and blitz to the desired consistency. Alternatively you can mash the avocado using a fork. Garnish the guacamole with finely chopped chives.
What you need:
- 2 potatoes (any variety)
- ½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and smoked paprika (optional)
For the guacamole:
- 1 avocado
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- Pinch of sea salt and black pepper
- Fresh chives, finely chopped, to garnish
From Real Food Kids by Jess Lomas (£8.99, Wilkinson Publishing).