Friday, 29 November 2013
Recipe: Christmas tree chicken nuggets
Andy Waters' take on chicken nuggets is an interesting one – he uses cheese and onion crisps to create a flavourful coating for the meat, with apple in the filling to add a hint of sweetness.
The festive shapes will add a Christmassy touch to this dish!
1. Place all the ingredients for the filling in a blender and pulse for a few seconds.
2. Scrape the mixture out of the blender and onto a clean surface that has been floured. Shape the mixture into a flat disc - approximately 1cm thick. Get the kids involved for this next part – give them a range of festive cutters to use to cut out their nuggets from the mixture.
3. On a tray, mix the cheese and onion crisps with the breadcrumbs. Let your little helpers then roll their festive nuggets in the coating, ensuring the filling is covered all over.
4. Place a pan over a medium heat and add oil. When the oil is hot, add the nuggets. Cook for 6 minutes, turning occasionally. They should be a golden-brown colour and cooked through.
5. Once cooked, drain the nuggets on absorbent kitchen towel. Serve immediately with your choice of dipping sauce
Cooking with Kids Christmas App from Great British Chefs, the award-winning recipe site, and Tesco available to download for free
Recipe courtesy of Great British Chefs
Want to see more recipes like this? Why not try Lancashire hotpots with snowman toasties
For the Chicken nugget filling
340g skinless chicken breast
1 large onion, diced
2 tbsp chopped parsley
1 apple, peeled and grated
4 tbsp fine white breadcrumbs
1 chicken stock cube, crumbled
For the coating
6 tbsp fine white breadcrumbs
55g cheese and onion crisps, crushed into small pieces
2 tbsp vegetable oil