Party coming up? Try this lemon cake
- Preheat oven to 180˚C (350˚F) Gas 4.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together.
- Whisk the butter and sugar until pale, light and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs, mixing well.
- Add and whisk the dry ingredients and sour cream alternately to the mixture in batches. Add the lemon zest and juice and mix until smooth.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the tins and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for about 35 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cakes comes out clean. Leave the cakes to cool in the tins for 10 mins before turning out onto a wire rack. Allow them cool completely before decorating.
- To make the frosting, cream the butter and sugar. Add the lemon curd and mix again until smooth.
- Using a large serrated knife, slice each cake in half horizontally to give 4 even layers.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate and spread with 2 big tbsps of frosting. Top with another cake layer and frosting. Repeat until you have 4 layers of cake and 3 of frosting.
- Cover the top and sides of the whole cake with the remaining frosting, spread evenly with a palette knife.
- Decorate the cake with your choice of sweets.
- 400g plain flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 225g unsalted butter
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 250ml sour cream
- grated zest of 2 unwaxed lemons and juice of 1
For the frosting
- 350g unsalted butter
- 600g icing sugar, sifted
- 4 tbsp lemon curd
- 2 x 20cm cake tins, greased and lined
- Serves 8-1
These and more great recipes are featured in Annie Rigg's Birthday Cakes for Kids, 12.99 (Ryland Peters & Small)
Recipes & FoodTips for kids party food to wow guests
Tips for kids party food to wow guests Getting the food right at your...
Recipes & FoodChocolate beet cupcakes
Chocolate beet Cupcakes If there is one way to get kids to eat beetroot, it...
Recipes & FoodChocolate owl birthday cake
Chocolate owl birthday cake You don’t need to be a supercook to knock up a...
Recipes & FoodHow to make: Blueberry pie pops
Blueberry Pie Pops The origin of blueberry pie goes back to the...