Pizza is so simple to make with easy-blend yeast. I often make a double batch of dough and make a loaf of focacciawith the rest and freeze it for later.
- Sift the flour and salt into a mixing bowl and stir in the yeast. Whisk oil with 300ml warm water and add to the flour. Mix to a soft dough and turn on to a lightly floured work surface. Knead for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Place in a clean, oiled bowl and cover with oiled cling film. Leave in a warm corner of the kitchen for 45 minutes, or until doubled in size. Meanwhile, make tomato sauce. Heat oil in pan, cook garlic for 30 seconds, then add anchovies (and parsley). Stir in tomatoes, break up with spoon and season. Simmer uncovered for 12-15 minutes, stirring regularly until thickened.
- Preheat the oven to 220˚C/fan oven 200˚C/Gas Mark 7. Turn the dough out on to a floured surface and knead lightly to knock out any air. Divide into four and roll out to really thin circles about 2cm thick. Transfer to floured baking sheets. Spread the tomato sauce over the middle, leaving a border.
- Scatter with your chosen topping. For a Margherita, add torn pieces of buffalo mozzarella, shredded fresh basil and a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil. Or try crumbled goat’s cheese, thinly sliced red onion and basil pesto; or cooked red peppers, cubed cooking chorizo and an egg broken into the centre. Or add this combo to the baked pizza: fresh rocket, Parma ham
- and Parmesan shavings.
- Cover with cling film and leave to prove for 15 minutes until puffy. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
Makes 4 pizzas
Prepare 25 minutes
Proving 1-1½ hours
Cook 20 minutes
- 500g Italian 00 flour or strong white bread flour
- 1½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp easy-blend yeast
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 amount tomato sauce
- (see box below)
- Toppings, as preferred
Prepare 10 minutes
Cook 15 minutes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3-4 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 3-4 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley or fresh basil (optional)
- 400g can Italian plum tomatoes
These and more great recipes are featured in Mary Gwynn’s Busy Mum's Cookbook
Recipes & FoodEasy homemade pizza recipe
Easy homemade pizza recipe Masterchef winner and actress Lisa Faulkner shares...
Recipes & FoodFondant hedgehog cupcakes
Fondant hedgehog cupcakes Want to learn how to make these lovely cupcake-...
Recipes & FoodPressed sandwiches
Pressed sandwiches These posh pressed sandwiches would make a great addition to...
Recipes & FoodAlmond granola bars
Almond granola bars These almond-scented granola bars are a wonderful, healthy...