How to make the perfect burger on a BBQ
Terry McDowell has developed TGI Friday's new range of burgers and he offers his top tips for the perfect BBQ burger.
- A burger is only as good as the patty you are using. Cheap patties contain a lot of water and will shrink very quickly on the BBQ. Use a quality patty – your local butcher is a great option
- If you're making a patty from scratch, a mixture of chuck and brisket is the ideal combination for flavour and texture – and don't 'pack' the burgers too tightly to avoid additional toughness.
- There is a secret ingredient to a great BBQ burger – and once you try it, you will never look back. Lightly brush the burgers with some Bovril before cooking. It adds an extra taste element called 'umami' – the fifth taste after salt, sweet, sour and bitter. It really makes all the difference.
- Once cooked, add a pinch of salt to the patty – it helps bring the burger's natural flavours to life.
- Add the cheese to the burger while the burger is cooking – it will melt into the patty and intensify the flavour.
- Only flip the burgers once – this allows each side to form a tasty, caramelised outer layer.
- Ensure it's cooked evenly - When you do flip them, move to a different part of the grill. Some areas are likely to be hotter than others – this will make sure all burgers are cooked evenly.
- If you're a fan of adding bacon, use streaky and cook until extra crispy. This ads both an extra texture and more flavour.
- Toast the buns – it stops them getting too soggy and is a nice sturdy base for your burger.
- There is no substitute for a homemade burger relish.
- 200ml mayonnaise
- 75ml ketchup
- 50ml American mustard
- 50 grams finely chopped gherkins
If you don't fancy making your own, you could always pop into your local TGI Friday's and try one of Terry's burgers.
Recipes & FoodFondant hedgehog cupcakes
Fondant hedgehog cupcakes Want to learn how to make these lovely cupcake-...
Recipes & FoodPressed sandwiches
Pressed sandwiches These posh pressed sandwiches would make a great addition to...
Recipes & FoodAlmond granola bars
Almond granola bars These almond-scented granola bars are a wonderful, healthy...
Recipes & FoodSummery sausage rolls
Summery sausage rolls A summery, lighter take on the comfort food classic....