The ultimate chocolate cake
For the cake:
- Cream / whisk the (softened) butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the melted chocolate and mix again. Add the eggs a little at a time beating / whisking well after each addition and checking they are fully incorporated before adding more to the mixture. Sift the flour, cocoa and baking powder into a large bowl.
- With a metal spoon or large palette knife, fold the dry ingredients into the cake mixture adding a little at a time. Divide the mixture equally between the three prepared tins (if you only have two tins then bake two cakes and remove from their tins to cool on a baking rack. Run one tin under cold water and re-line with fresh baking parchment before using to bake the third cake).
- Bake the cakes in the middle of a preheated oven for approx 20 - 25 minutes or until springy to touch. Leave the cakes to settle in their tins for about ten minutes before carefully removing them from their tins and putting them to cool on a wire rack. If the cakes are not completely flat you may wish to level the tops a little so the three tiers stack neatly – wait until they have completely cooled before doing this.
For the buttercream:
- Soften the butter then put it in a mixing bowl with the icing sugar, the vanilla extract and the milk. Beat very firmly - ideally with a hand mixer or in a stand mixer - or with a hand balloon whisk. Beat for 2 - 3 mins (longer if doing by hand) until the mixture is smooth, creamy and quite fluffy.
- Melt the chocolate over a pan of simmering water or very carefully in the microwave (in 20 second bursts - stirring before heating again). Add the chocolate and beat again - it will thicken the more you beat it!
- Once the cakes are completely cold, sandwich together with a generous layer of chocolate buttercream and cover the top with buttercream. Decorate with summery flower decorations.
- 300g unsalted butter
- 300g caster sugar
- 90g good quality plain chocolate (melted)
- 6 large eggs
- 240g Self Raising Flour
- 60g good quality cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 x 7 inch sandwich cake tins lined
- Preheat oven to 180°c / 350°f / Gas mark 4
- 300g unsalted butter
- 600g icing sugar (sifted)
- 350g 70% cocoa chocolate
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 50g cocoa
- 6 tablespoons semi skimmed milk
Recipe courtesy of the Great British Bake Off finalist Miranda Gore Browne.
Recipes & FoodCheese and chive biscuits
Cheese and chive biscuits These savoury biscuits couldn't be simpler, and you...
Recipes & FoodVeggie nuggets with curry mango dip
Veggie nuggets with curry mango dip These healthy veggie nuggets are so good...
Recipes & FoodSunflower pancakes with green pea purée
Sunflower pancakes with green pea purée Try this sunflower twist on...
Recipes & FoodYellow lentil soup with coconut
Yellow lentil soup with coconut A warming, creamy soup to brighten up the table...