Recipe: Uncle Tristan's mild mango chicken curry
- Heat 3 tbsp of the oil in a large, heavy- based saucepan over a low heat and sweat the onion until translucent. Add the remaining oil along with the chilli, garlic and ginger; cook for 2 minutes, stirring.
- Add the curry powder, salt and pepper; cook for 1 minute and keep stirring. Increase the heat to medium, add the chopped tomatoes and cook for around 10 minutes, until the sauce has reduced and thickened.
- Stir in the tomato ketchup, peanut butter and 1 tsp of the mango syrup; keep cooking until the sauce turns into a thick paste. Then, if you are using raw chicken, add it now and stir into the sauce.
- Cook for 5 minutes to coat the chicken and seal in the juices. If you are using
chicken leftovers, put the chicken into the mixture and go straight to the next stage.
- Add the coconut milk, turn up the heat until the sauce starts to bubble, then reduce the heat and simmer for 8 minutes until the curry is a creamy consistency. If the sauce is becoming too thick, add a little more mango syrup. Alternatively, add water if you feel the curry is becoming too sweet.
- Chop and stir in the mango slices and simmer for another 2 minutes. Stir in half the chopped coriander and season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve with the remaining coriander and a dollop of yogurt if you wish, accompanied by a wedge of lime and basmati rice or flatbread.
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli pepper, deseeded and finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1cm piece fresh ginger finely chopped
- 1 tbsp mild curry powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Lots of black pepper
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp peanut butter
- 400g tin of mango slices, syrup drained and reserved
- 800g cooked or raw chicken, chopped into bite-sized chunks
- 250ml coconut milk
- Handful of coriander, chopped
- Yogurt, to serve
Tip: To make this palatable to kids who aren't keen on spicy food, leave out the red chilli and make sure you are using mild curry powder.
Recipe courtesy of: The Crumbs Family Cookbook
Recipes & FoodPepita-crusted chicken strips
Pepita-crusted chicken strips Looking for a savoury treat that's not just...
Recipes & FoodCheese and chive biscuits
Cheese and chive biscuits These savoury biscuits couldn't be simpler, and you...
Recipes & FoodVeggie nuggets with curry mango dip
Veggie nuggets with curry mango dip These healthy veggie nuggets are so good...
Recipes & FoodSunflower pancakes with green pea purée
Sunflower pancakes with green pea purée Try this sunflower twist on...