Recipe: Festive roasted vegetable mash
A great one for the festive period this meal is loaded with traditional Christmas flavours for baby – apples, rosemary, carrots and parsnips with a hint of Indian spices.
Roasting vegetables are a fabulous way to maintain flavour and nutrients, so rest assured your little one will reap the health benefits of this meal. The vitamin A (in the form of beta-carotene) from the carrots, and the SuperSpice cumin, both help to support the development of a strong and healthy immune system.
- Pre-heat the oven to 220C/ 425F/ gas mark 7.
- Add olive oil, garlic, black pepper and cumin into a bowl and stir. Then add the vegetables to the bowl and coat with the seasoning.
- Lay the vegetables flat on top of a foil-covered baking tray and add 2 small branches of rosemary (broken off the sprig), on either side of the tray for a light flavour whilst roasting. Place the baking tray on the middle shelf of the oven and roast for 20-25mins until tender ensuring to turn over the vegetables half way.
- Once tender, remove from the oven and take out the rosemary branches. Mash or puree as necessary and use as much apple juice as required to loosen the mash. Serve to baby warm.
- Alternatively offer the roasted vegetables to your little one as a selection of finger foods when she is ready.
- Note: the amount of time the vegetables take to roast depends on their thickness i.e. chunkier vegetables will take longer, equally thin cut vegetables will be quicker.
Stage 2: 7 Months Plus
Suitable for freezing
Makes 2 servings
Total preparation and cooking time: up to 30mins
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp minced garlic
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- Pinch of ground cumin
- 1 medium carrot – peeled, washed,
- sliced (diagonally) into 1cm pieces
- 1 medium parsnip – peeled, washed, sliced (diagonally) into 1cm pieces
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- Pure unsweetened apple juice
Recipe courtesy of: Easy Indian SuperMeals for Babies, Toddlers and the Family by Zainab Jagot Ahmed