Recipe: Salted caramel popcorn fudge
Try this decadent and completely over-the-top fudge. It has a rich, butterscotch taste that's cut by the salt flakes on the top, and the popcorn is the perfect foil to the fudge.
- Line a 21 cm (8¼ inch) square baking tin with baking paper. Melt the butter over a high heat in a medium heavy-based saucepan. Once melted, add the brown sugar, condensed milk and golden syrup.
- Stir until boiling then lower the heat to medium–low and cook for a further 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Keep an eye on it throughout; if it looks too hot, take it off the heat and keep stirring for a few seconds before returning it to the heat. Don't even think about touching or tasting it at this point, as caramel can burn pretty badly. The mixture will become thicker and darker in colour as it cooks.
- Once ready (when the sugar has all dissolved and the mixture is smooth, dark and has thickened slightly), take the pan off the heat and add the chocolate. Vigorously stir in until smooth then pour into the lined tin using a spatula or wooden spoon to help spread it out evenly.
- Working quickly, sprinkle the salt flakes all over the top, and scatter over the popcorn until the fudge is all covered. Lightly press the popcorn into the still-warm fudge. Place in the fridge to set for at least 1 hour.
- Once set, take it out of the fridge and slice into 16 pieces. Some popcorn will fall off during this process, but that's fine. It's best served at room temperature so put it in an airtight container and keep in a cool corner of the kitchen for a few days. It might last longer, but I've never seen it survive more than a couple of days!
Makes 16 pieces
- 125 g (4½ oz/½ cup) butter
- 330 g (11¾ oz/1½ cups, firmly packed) brown sugar
- 1 x 395 g (14 oz) tin of condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 180 g (6¼ oz) white chocolate melts
- ½ teaspoon sea salt flakes enough air-popped salted popcorn to cover the surface of the tin (about 2 cups of popped corn)
Recipe courtesy of I'd Eat That by Callum Hann (Murdoch Books £9.99). Photography: Alan Benson
Recipes & FoodCheese and chive biscuits
Cheese and chive biscuits These savoury biscuits couldn't be simpler, and you...
Recipes & FoodVeggie nuggets with curry mango dip
Veggie nuggets with curry mango dip These healthy veggie nuggets are so good...
Recipes & FoodSunflower pancakes with green pea purée
Sunflower pancakes with green pea purée Try this sunflower twist on...
Recipes & FoodYellow lentil soup with coconut
Yellow lentil soup with coconut A warming, creamy soup to brighten up the table...