Recipe: Sweet and fun Brighton rock cake
A cake in the shape of a stick of rock – a roulade, with a sweet billowing meringue batter, fresh cream and berries, and, to continue the theme, tiny broken up pieces of rock inside and sprinkled merrily on top.
- Blitz the rock and the handful of sugar in a food processor until only a few larger pieces remain (so your guests can recognise its origin), then sprinkle thickly all over a sheet of greaseproof paper about the same size as your Swiss roll tin.
- Heat oven to 150°C/Gas mark 2 and line the Swiss roll tin with baking paper, making sure there is a 5cm overhang on all edges.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff (if you are planning on doing this by hand, it will take about 10 minutes), then gradually whisk in 150g caster sugar, until the meringue is stiff and glossy and the grain of the sugar has been absorbed. Whisk in the cornflour and give the whole thing another whizz for a couple of minutes until it's pillowy, shiny and holds stiff peaks.
- Pour the meringue into the prepared Swiss roll tin and spread using a palette knife or spatula. Cook for 1 hour (turn your oven down if it starts to colour) and cool in the tin.
- Now comes the fun part: flip the tin upside down onto the rock-sprinkled greaseproof – a quick firm action is required here. The baking paper can now be peeled, gently, from the underside (now the top side) of the meringue.
- Whip the cream into soft peaks, being careful not to over-whip, and spread thickly over the meringue with the pallet knife, leaving a border on the long side furthest away from you.
- Scatter the red berries over the cream, then roll up the roulade as neatly or as messily as your meringue allows. Use the border to start you off, and try to roll the meringue reasonably tightly initially. Cracks and unevenness really don't matter here - just patch them up with rock sugar.
- 1 stick of rock
- handful of caster sugar – this doesn't have to be exact
- 5 egg whites
- 150g caster sugar
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 284ml carton double cream
- 250g red berries (match your fruit colour to your rock)
35 minutes preparation
1 hour cooking time
You will need:
- A 33cm x 28cm Swiss roll tin
Recipe courtesy of Brighton Bakes by Jessica Haggerty
Recipes & FoodCheese and chive biscuits
Cheese and chive biscuits These savoury biscuits couldn't be simpler, and you...
Recipes & FoodVeggie nuggets with curry mango dip
Veggie nuggets with curry mango dip These healthy veggie nuggets are so good...
Recipes & FoodSunflower pancakes with green pea purée
Sunflower pancakes with green pea purée Try this sunflower twist on...
Recipes & FoodYellow lentil soup with coconut
Yellow lentil soup with coconut A warming, creamy soup to brighten up the table...