Delicious strawberry meringue pies
Strawberries and meringue are make the perfect dessert. The toasted Italian meringue topping is reminiscent of marshmallows toasted on a barbecue.
- Blitz the shortbread to fine crumbs in a food processor. Add the melted butter and mix. Press the cookie crumb mixture into the prepared pans, so that the sides and the bases are completely covered. Chill.
- For the mousse, place the strawberries in a saucepan with the sugar, vanilla extract and 100ml water and simmer until the fruit is soft. Pass the mixture through a sieve. Return the strawberry syrup to the pan and heat gently, then sprinkle in the gelatine and whisk in. Cool.
- Place the cooled syrup and cream in a bowl and whip to soft peaks. Divide the mousse between the pie crusts and chill
in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
- To make the meringue, heat the sugar, syrup and 4tbsp of water in a pan until the sugar has dissolved, then bring to the boil.
- Whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks. Gradually pour the hot syrup into the egg whites in a thin stream and whisk until the meringue cools; this will take about 10 minutes. Spoon meringue into a piping bag.
- Remove the pies from the refrigerator and top the mousse with the chopped strawberries. Pipe the meringue onto the pies in high peaks or swirls. Lightly brown the meringue with a blow torch or under a hot grill. Serve immediately.
Ingredients - Makes 4
FOR THE PIE CRUST
- 250g lemon shortbread
- 150g butter, melted
- FOR THE MOUSSE
- 200g strawberries
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 12g powdered gelatine
- 300ml double cream
FOR THE MERINGUE LAYER
- 150g caster sugar
- 60ml golden syrup
- 3 egg whites
- 250g strawberries
- 4 loose-bottomed
- 8cm cake pans, greased
Don't worry, when making the mousse, that the mixture does not form stiff peaks; it will set in the fridge
Recipe courtesy of: Sweetie Pie by Hannah Miles
Recipes & FoodCheese and chive biscuits
Cheese and chive biscuits These savoury biscuits couldn't be simpler, and you...
Recipes & FoodVeggie nuggets with curry mango dip
Veggie nuggets with curry mango dip These healthy veggie nuggets are so good...
Recipes & FoodSunflower pancakes with green pea purée
Sunflower pancakes with green pea purée Try this sunflower twist on...
Recipes & FoodYellow lentil soup with coconut
Yellow lentil soup with coconut A warming, creamy soup to brighten up the table...