Ice cream cupcakes
These are a real centrepiece treat – yet so easy to make! If you're feeling virtuous you can even grate a carrot into the mix. But shhh – don't ruin the surprise of the hidden cake...
Ice cream cupcakes
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C / 160 °C fan / gas 4.
- Little helpers can help you sift the flour and set aside. Then in a large mixing bowl thoroughly combine the spread and sugar.
- Add just 2 tbsp of the flour plus the eggs to the sugar mix. Beat to combine further. Now add the rest of the flour mix plus the vanilla and the 1 tbsp milk, stirring firmly to combine, but don't beat.
- You might need to give younger children a helping hand as they carefully fill the cones about half way up – you'll probably use about 3 tsp per cone. Fill them all to an equal level as best you can, placing each one in the hollow of a muffin tin or simply spaced put on a baking tray.
- Carefully place in the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes (once the cakes are cooked, transfer them to a cooling rack).
- Meanwhile, sift the icing sugar into a large mixing bowl. Add the Flora Buttery, vanilla and 1 ½ tbsp milk. Beat to combine until it's all smooth. Then place in the freezer for about 15 minutes to allow it to stiffen up (or place in the fridge for a bit longer).
- Kids will love getting involved with the decoration - let them get creative and worry about the mess later. Once the cakes are thoroughly cooled down, place some of the icing in a piping bag with a 'star' shaped nozzle. Small hands might need some help piping the icing in a circular motion, building up some height, going from the outside in. Decorate as you wish with sprinkles and chocolate drops ... or anything else that you can find in the cake decorating aisle!
- 150g self raising flour
- 150g I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spread, softened / melted
- 125g caster sugar
- 2 eggs, whisked (large or medium)
- 2-3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp milk
- 12 flat bottomed ice cream wafer cones
For the icing:
- 400g icing sugar
- 150g Flora Buttery
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ tbsp milk
- Decorations – e.g. chocolate flakes and sugar sprinkles
This recipe is part of the Persil Cook with the Kids Campaign
Recipes & FoodFondant hedgehog cupcakes
Fondant hedgehog cupcakes Want to learn how to make these lovely cupcake-...
Recipes & FoodPressed sandwiches
Pressed sandwiches These posh pressed sandwiches would make a great addition to...
Recipes & FoodAlmond granola bars
Almond granola bars These almond-scented granola bars are a wonderful, healthy...
Recipes & FoodSummery sausage rolls
Summery sausage rolls A summery, lighter take on the comfort food classic....