Sweet potato, apple and cinnamon pancakes
This recipe is an interesting twist on the traditional pancake and is packed full of flavour! It is a quick and simple to make and your little ones - no matter what their age - will enjoy helping you along the way.
- Peel then chop the sweet potato and place in a medium saucepan. Cover with boiled water and simmer rapidly until tender (approx 15-20 minutes). Drain off the water, allow to cool slightly then weigh out approx 250g of the cooked sweet potato – mash this thoroughly (any left-over you can eat or freeze).
- While the potato is cooking, sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and sugar into a large mixing bowl - this job is ideal for little helpers.
- Older children can grate the apple (don't bother peeling), omitting the core, pips, and stem.
- Don't be afraid to get small hands messy as they help you add the grated apple, the egg, milk, vanilla extract and mashed sweet potato to the dry ingredients. Stir everything up until it is thoroughly combined.
- Add a teaspoon or so of Flora Buttery to a large non stick frying pan and place on a medium-high heat. Once the spread has melted and the pan is hot, add 2 x tablespoons of the mix to create one pancake. Do the same again to create a second (but don't over-crowd the pan with a third or they'll be tricky to flip!)
- Leave for 1 minute to cook, not touching, before flipping both over with a spatula or fish slice. Pat down with your spatula to flatten. Continue to cook for another minute or so, patting down as you go. Flip over twice more if you wish. Cook them until they're golden brown. Then place on a plate with kitchen towel.
- Carry on cooking all the mix, adding 1 teaspoon more spread as you go to lubricate the pan, piling the cooked pancakes up on a plate, with kitchen towel to drain off and separate each one. Serve immediately.
- 1 medium-large sweet potato
- 150g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 50g caster sugar
- 1 medium apple
- 1 medium egg, whisked
- 100ml milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Approx. 40g Flora Buttery, to fry
This recipe is part of the Persil Cook with the Kids Campaign
Recipes & FoodLace heart shaped pancake recipe
Lace heart shaped pancake recipe Perfect for pancake day or Valentine's day,...
Recipes & FoodFondant hedgehog cupcakes
Fondant hedgehog cupcakes Want to learn how to make these lovely cupcake-...
Recipes & FoodPressed sandwiches
Pressed sandwiches These posh pressed sandwiches would make a great addition to...
Recipes & FoodAlmond granola bars
Almond granola bars These almond-scented granola bars are a wonderful, healthy...