Recipe: Lemony buckwheat risotto with green peas and leek
Instill a love of wholesome eating in your little one with this simple and nourishing recipe idea from Vanessa Clarkson
Makes 8 baby portions
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 195g raw buckwheat groats
- 750ml vegetable stock
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 390g fresh or thawed frozen peas,/li>
- 250ml milk
- Finely grated Parmesan, to serve
WHAT TO DO
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-low heat. Add the leek and garlic, and allow to sweat for 5 minutes to soften slightly. Next, add the buckwheat and heat for another minute, tossing gently.
- Pour in the stock and lemon juice, bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, using a blender or food processor, purée half the peas with the milk until smooth. Add to the risotto along with the remaining whole peas for the last 5 minutes of the cooking time.
- Be sure not to overcook this risotto, or it will turn a dull green. Serve with a sprinkle of finely grated Parmesan.
- For little ones As the risotto cools, it will become tacky and and it should stick well to a spoon. Blend all peas for beginners, but cooked whole peas are fine when your little one has mastered the pincer grip (at around nine months).
This recipes features in Real Food for Babies & Toddlers by Vanessa Clarkson (£14.99, Murdoch Books), Photography by Ben Dearnley.
Recipes & FoodChristmas Baking Recipe: Gingerbread Reindeer biscuits
Christmas Baking Recipe: Reindeer biscuits Get in the festive spirit and bake...
Recipes & FoodEaster cookie recipe from the Biscuiteers featuring adorable iced animals
Easter cookie recipe from the Biscuiteers featuring adorable iced animals Bake...
Celebrity mums & dadsFearne Cotton chats healthy recipes, toddler tantrums and her new kidswear for Boots Mini Club
Fearne Cotton chats healthy recipes, toddler tantrums and her new kidswear for...
Recipes & FoodFrench toast recipe with fresh berry sauce
French toast recipe with fresh berry sauce Rustle up this fruity, super easy...