French toast recipe with fresh berry sauce
Rustle up this fruity, super easy french toast for your little ones to kick-start their day
Image: Bill Granger
Ensure your little one starts their day by getting one of their five-a-day with this delicious and nutritious french toast recipe with raspberry sauce. It's super simple to cook and makes for the perfect weekend breakfast treat!
Recipe serves 4
For french toast
- 3 eggs
- 185ml milk
- 8 thick slices brioche or panettone
- 30g unsalted butter
For fresh berry sauce
- 250g raspberries
- or mixed berries
- 60g caster sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- To serve
- icing sugar
- Whisk the eggs and milk together in a bowl. Place the brioche or panettone in a shallow dish and pour the milk mixture over the top. Allow the milk to soak in thoroughly, then turn the bread over and soak the other side — if you are using panettone it will need to be soaked for a little longer because it is drier.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium–high heat and melt half the butter. Add four slices of bread to the pan and fry for about 1 minute, until golden. Turn over and cook until the other side is golden. Repeat with the remaining bread.
- Meanwhile, to make the berry sauce, put half the berries in a blender with the sugar and lemon juice and purée until smooth. Pour into a bowl, add the remaining berries and stir to combine.
- Serve the French toast immediately with the berry sauce and a sprinkling of icing sugar.