Pea and ham risotto
Perfect pea and ham risotto that will tempt your tot into eating something slightly exotic
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the celery and parsley and season with freshly ground black pepper. Cook over medium heat for a few minutes to soften the celery. Add the ham and stir for 1 minute. Add the peas and half the wine, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until almost all the liquid has evaporated. Set aside.
- Put the stock and 750ml water in a separate saucepan and keep at simmering point.
- Heat the butter in a large heavy-based saucepan. Add the onion and stir until softened. Add the rice and stir well. Pour in the remaining wine; allow it to bubble and evaporate. Add 125ml hot stock to the rice mixture. Stir constantly over low heat, with a wooden spoon, until all the stock has been absorbed. Repeat the process until all the stock has been added and the rice is creamy and tender (it may take 20–25 minutes).
- Add the pea mixture and Parmesan and serve immediately.
- Serve with the extra Parmesan shavings and some freshly ground black pepper.
Hint: If fresh peas are in season, 500g peas in the pod will yield about 250g shelled.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 tbsps chopped flat leaf parsley
- 70g sliced ham, coarsely chopped
- 250g peas (fresh or frozen)
- 125ml dry white wine
- 750ml salt-reduced chicken stock
- 60g unsalted butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 440g arborio rice
- 35g grated Parmesan cheese,
- plus extra shavings to garnish
These and more great recipes are featured in Healthy Living with babies and Toddler
Recipes & FoodArancini and salad
Arancini and salad Leftover risotto? We've got a wonderful recipe to jazz it up...
Recipes & FoodFondant hedgehog cupcakes
Fondant hedgehog cupcakes Want to learn how to make these lovely cupcake-...
Recipes & FoodPressed sandwiches
Pressed sandwiches These posh pressed sandwiches would make a great addition to...
Recipes & FoodAlmond granola bars
Almond granola bars These almond-scented granola bars are a wonderful, healthy...