Time to dunk? Try these biscuits
A perfect biscuit making recipe for all the family to enjoy
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/ 350°F/gas mark 4.
- Sift the flours together in a bowl, add the sugar, mix well.
- Add the butter. Using just the tips of your fingers, rub the ingredients together until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Make a well in the centre and add the syrup and egg. Mix well, drawing in any flour left at the sides of the bowl and stop when a ball has formed.
- Place the dough onto your clean worktop. Divide into two and squash the dough into two even-sized discs.
- Place the dough on a sheet of parchment, cover with a second sheet of parchment then roll the dough to 5mm thick all over (the top sheet may crinkle from time to time, just peel it off, smooth down and start rolling again).
- Transfer the whole sheet of rolled dough (still sandwiched between the parchment) to a baking tray and place in the fridge for 20-30mins.
- Cut the biscuits and place onto parchment covered baking trays (make sure they are not too close together as the dough will spread a little on baking), place the trays evenly in the oven and cook for 14-18 mins.
- When the biscuits are just beginning to turn a golden colour, remove from the oven and transfer the whole sheet of parchment to a cooling rack.
- Cool totally before storing or they will lose their crunch and don’t ice them while still warm.
- Pack the cooled biscuits between layers of parchment in an airtight container and store in a cool, dry place. They will keep for up to a month (iced or un-iced).
- 350g plain flour
- 100g self raising flour
- 125g granulated sugar
- 125 salted butter, diced
- 125g golden syrup
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
For these and more great biscuit recipes, look at the Biscuiteers Book of Iced Biscuits by Harriet Hastings and Sarah Moore, £12.99 (Kyle Books), amazon.com
Recipes & FoodCheese and chive biscuits
Cheese and chive biscuits These savoury biscuits couldn't be simpler, and you...
Recipes & FoodVeggie nuggets with curry mango dip
Veggie nuggets with curry mango dip These healthy veggie nuggets are so good...
Recipes & FoodSunflower pancakes with green pea purée
Sunflower pancakes with green pea purée Try this sunflower twist on...
Recipes & FoodYellow lentil soup with coconut
Yellow lentil soup with coconut A warming, creamy soup to brighten up the table...