Recipe: Apple and caramel pie dessert
For the crust:
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Coat the bottom and inside of a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray.
- At medium-low speed, beat the flour and the dough until combined.
- Press sugar cookie dough onto sides and bottom of pan, creating a ¼ inch thick crust. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C. Bake the crust for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
For the filling:
- Toss the apples with sugar, flour, ginger, and cinnamon. Spoon into pan.
- Sprinkle with caramel.
- Cover tightly with foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
For the crumb topping:
- While pie is baking, in a mixing bowl at low speed, combine flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
- Increase speed to medium; gradually add butter and vanilla, beating until wet crumbs form.
- Remove pie from oven and uncover.
- Using your hands, press tablespoons of the crumb mixture together to form large crumbs.
- Place over filling, covering the entire surface.
- Cover exposed edges of crust with aluminum foil to prevent burning.
- Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool on a rack and remove sides from the pan.
- Stir together the confectioners' sugar with enough water to make "icing." Transfer to a plastic food storage bag, snip one corner and drizzle over crumbs.
65g all-purpose flour
400g package of refrigerated sugar cookie dough
1kg Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, cut into ½-inch thick slices
85g cup granulated sugar
100g all-purpose flour
¾ tablespoon chopped candied ginger
¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
170g caramel topping
280g all-purpose flour
85g granulated sugar
85g dark brown sugar, packed
1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
170g melted butter or margarine
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
75g confectioners' sugar
This Recipe is from the Whispering Canyon Café at Walt Disney World's Wilderness Lodge.