Recipe: Sweet potato, apple & dhal curry (V)
Dhal (lentils) are a staple in many Asian households and are highly recommended for babies following a vegetarian diet.
- Heat the oil in a pot, add the onion and stir-fry for 3-4mins. Turn to low heat and add the ginger, garlic, cumin and cinnamon and stir-fry for a further 30secs.
- Add the lentils to the pot, along with the sweet potato, cover with the water and stir. Bring to the boil and simmer (uncovered) on medium heat for 20mins, until both the lentils and potato are tender.
- Whilst the lentils and potato are cooking, steam the apple chunks using a steamer or steam them in the microwave by placing them in a microwavable dish and adding 2 tablespoons of water.
- Cover the dish with either a lid (leaving a small vent) or cling film (piercing a few holes), and cook in the microwave on high for 1½-2mins until tender. Once cooked, drain the excess water and add to the curry at the end.
- Stir and mash the whole curry to a consistency your little one will be comfortable eating. Delicious served on its own or with rice or roti for toddlers.
Total preparation and cooking time: 30-35mins
Makes 6 servings
Suitable for freezing
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion - peeled, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp. minced ginger
- ¼ tsp. minced garlic
- Pinch of ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 125g (4oz) red lentils – soaked in water (10mins), washed, drained
- 1 small sweet potato – washed, peeled, cubed
- 550ml (1 pint) of water
- 1 sweet apple – peeled, cored, chopped into small chunks
Recipe from Zainab Jagot Ahmed – baby food blogger and author of Indian SuperMeals: Baby & Toddler Cookbook, the UK's first Indian baby food cookbook