Spiced potato pie: 7 months+
- Place the white and sweet potatoes in a pot and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and simmer (uncovered) on medium-high heat for 10-12 mins until tender.
- Whilst the potatoes are boiling, in a frying pan, heat the oil and add the onion. Stir-fry on medium-low heat for 3-4mins until soft and golden.
- Add the garlic, turmeric, cumin, coriander, black pepper and stir-fry continuously for 30secs-1min to lightly cook the spices and set aside.
- Next steam the peas in a steamer or in the microwave by placing them in a microwavable dish and adding 2 tablespoons of water. Cover the dish with either a lid (leaving a small vent) or cling film (piercing a few holes), and steam in the microwave on high for 1-1½mins until tender. Once cooked, drain the excess water and set aside.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, drain, place in a bowl and add the peas, butter and spoon in the milk and mash the potatoes until smooth.
- Add the spiced onion to the mash and combine together for a creamy, tasty pie.
- If the consistency of the pie is too heavy for your little one, add some extra milk. Serve to baby warm.
Total preparation and cooking time: 20mins
Makes 4-5 servings
Suitable for freezing
- 1 medium white potato – washed, peeled, cubed
- 1 medium sweet potato – washed, peeled, cubed
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion – peeled, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp. minced garlic
- Pinch of ground turmeric
- Pinch of ground cumin
- Pinch of ground coriander
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- 60g (2½oz) peas – frozen, washed
- 1 tsp. unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp. of whole milk
Recipe from Zainab Jagot Ahmed – baby food blogger and author of Indian SuperMeals: Baby & Toddler Cookbook, the UK's first Indian baby food cookbook