Christmas tree chicken nuggets
The festive shapes will add a Christmassy touch to this dish!
Andy Waters' take on chicken nuggets is an interesting one – he uses cheese and onion crisps to create a flavourful coating for the meat, with apple in the filling to add a hint of sweetness.
- 1. Place all the ingredients for the filling in a blender and pulse for a few seconds.
- 2. Scrape the mixture out of the blender and onto a clean surface that has been floured. Shape the mixture into a flat disc - approximately 1cm thick. Get the kids involved for this next part – give them a range of festive cutters to use to cut out their nuggets from the mixture.
- 3. On a tray, mix the cheese and onion crisps with the breadcrumbs. Let your little helpers then roll their festive nuggets in the coating, ensuring the filling is covered all over.
- 4. Place a pan over a medium heat and add oil. When the oil is hot, add the nuggets. Cook for 6 minutes, turning occasionally. They should be a golden-brown colour and cooked through.
- 5. Once cooked, drain the nuggets on absorbent kitchen towel. Serve immediately with your choice of dipping sauce
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
For the Chicken nugget filling
- 340g skinless chicken breast
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 apple, peeled and grated
- 4 tbsp fine white breadcrumbs
- 1 chicken stock cube, crumbled
plain flour, for dusting
For the coating
- 6 tbsp fine white breadcrumbs
- 55g cheese and onion crisps, crushed into small pieces
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Recipe courtesy of Great British Chefs