Lemon flavour heart cookies
Fancy something delicious and lovely? Then whip up these tasty cookies!
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/Gas 5. Line 2 baking sheets with baking parchment.
- Beat together the butter, sugar and lemon zest. Stir in the lemon juice and flour until the mixture looks crumbly, then form into a ball with your hands. On a lightly floured board, knead to a smooth dough. Shape in a circle, wrap in cling film and chill for 15 minutes.
- Roll out dough to about 3mm thick. Cut out 8 biscuits, rerolling the dough as necessary. Transfer cookies to the baking sheets and chill in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Bake for 10–12 minutes, until golden. Cool on a wire rack.
- To make icing, whisk half the icing sugar with the egg white. Add more sugar a spoonful at a time, until it's all mixed in. Whisk well for 5-10 minutes, until mixture is thick. Put a heaped tablespoon of icing in a dish; set aside.
- Dip a cocktail stick into the food colouring and stir it into the rest of the icing. Whisk well to incorporate the colour. Repeat to get
the desired shade.
- Spoon a third of the pink icing into the piping bag and pipe around the edge of a biscuit to create a raised border. Spoon more icing onto the biscuit and use the back of a spoon to spread within the border.
- Use a cocktail stick to place small dots of white icing around the edges, then drag a clean cocktail stick from top to bottom of each dot to create hearts. Allow to set, store in an airtight container and enjoy within five days.
Makes 8 cookies
- 75g butter
- 75g golden caster sugar
- Zest of ½ lemon
- 1-2 tbsps lemon juice
- 150g plain fl our, sifted, plus extra for dusting
FOR THE ICING
- 250g icing sugar
- 1 egg white
- Red food colouring
YOU'LL ALSO NEED
- 7cm heart-shaped cutter
- Piping bag with a 1-2mm round nozzle
Recipe courtesy of Heart on a Plate by Emma Marsden
Recipes & FoodFondant hedgehog cupcakes
Fondant hedgehog cupcakes Want to learn how to make these lovely cupcake-...
Recipes & FoodPressed sandwiches
Pressed sandwiches These posh pressed sandwiches would make a great addition to...
Recipes & FoodAlmond granola bars
Almond granola bars These almond-scented granola bars are a wonderful, healthy...
Recipes & FoodSummery sausage rolls
Summery sausage rolls A summery, lighter take on the comfort food classic....