Luxury love-themed fish pie
These delicious pies are made with soft fillets of plaice bathed in a creamy cheese sauce and topped with smooth mashed potato.
- Put the potatoes in a pan of cold water, cover and bring to the boil. Simmer until tender (about 15 minutes), then drain and stir in 10g of the butter and a splash of milk. Season well and mash until smooth.
- Melt the remaining butter in a pan over a low heat and stir in the flour. Cook for 1 minute, then take the pan off the heat and slowly stir in the rest of the milk. Return the pan to the heat and bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Simmer for a few minutes, until thickened, then stir in the Parmesan, cream and spinach. Take the pan off the heat.
- Preheat oven to 190°C/170°C fan/Gas 5. Season the fish, roll them up and place in the pie dishes. Cover with the sauce, spoon mash over the top and shape the surface into fish scales using the tip of a knife.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until golden and hot all the way through.
- 3 medium potatoes
(about 300g), chopped
- 30g butter
- 200ml milk, plus extra for the mash
- 15g flour
- 25g Parmesan
- 50ml double cream
- Large handful of spinach
- 300g plaice fillets, skinned
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
You'll also need:
- 2 x 300ml heart-shaped pie dishes or 1 x 600ml pie dish
Recipe courtesy of Heart on a Plate by Emma Marsden
Recipes & FoodCheddar Ploughman tartlets
Cheddar Ploughman tartlets These tartlets make good picnic fodder (either cold...
Recipes & FoodFondant hedgehog cupcakes
Fondant hedgehog cupcakes Want to learn how to make these lovely cupcake-...
Recipes & FoodPressed sandwiches
Pressed sandwiches These posh pressed sandwiches would make a great addition to...
Recipes & FoodAlmond granola bars
Almond granola bars These almond-scented granola bars are a wonderful, healthy...