Cauliflower, Ham and Cheddar Cheese Bake
This recipe transforms cauliflower into a version of macaroni cheese that even the pickiest eater will love. Kids can use their hands to break the florets from the head. Any type of cauliflower will work for this recipe, and you can also use broccoli.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Coat the bottom and sides of a baking dish with the olive oil. Then rub the bottom and sides with the crushed garlic. Discard the garlic cloves.
- Separate the cauliflower into bite-size florets. Place the florets and the ham in the dish and toss to combine.
- To make the cheese sauce, melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Add the flour and stir until it forms a paste. Whisk in ¼ cup of the milk and stir until the mixture begins to thicken – about 3 minutes. Stirring constantly, add the remaining milk a little at a time. Add the salt and continue to cook, stirring, until the sauce is thick and clings to the spoon. Add the cheese and stir until it is melted and fully incorporated.
- Pour the sauce evenly over the ham and cauliflower. Sprinkle with the breadcrumbs.
- Bake until the cauliflower is tender and the cheese sauce is bubbling and starting to brown – 25-30 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cauliflower
- 1 cup cubed, cooked ham
For the cheese sauce
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup grated mild
- Cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
Recipes & FoodFondant hedgehog cupcakes
Fondant hedgehog cupcakes Want to learn how to make these lovely cupcake-...
Recipes & FoodPressed sandwiches
Pressed sandwiches These posh pressed sandwiches would make a great addition to...
Recipes & FoodAlmond granola bars
Almond granola bars These almond-scented granola bars are a wonderful, healthy...
Recipes & FoodSummery sausage rolls
Summery sausage rolls A summery, lighter take on the comfort food classic....