Chocolate beet Cupcakes
If there is one way to get kids to eat beetroot, it will be in these rich chocolate cupcakes.
You’ll need to let them cool before grating them, so allow an hour or two to make this. Grating beetroot can also be very messy, which is fun for kids. Parents be warned – you might want to keep a bowl of soapy water nearby for quick clean-ups.
- Place the beetroots in a pan, add water to cover and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until tender, about 35 minutes. Drain in a colander and let cool.
- When they are cool, grate them on the large holes of a box grater. You should have a total of 1 cup.
- In a heatproof bowl, melt the chocolate in a microwave, 30 seconds at a time, for a total of 1½ minutes. Or place the bowl over (but not touching) simmering water in a small saucepan.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper cases.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar with a handheld mixer until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla, then the grated beetroot, and beat until the mixture is smooth and evenly coloured. Stir
- in the melted chocolate, then gradually add the flour mixture and beat again, until fully combined. Spoon the mixture into the cases.
- Bake until the tops spring back when touched and a cocktail stick inserted into the centre of a cake comes out clean – 20-25 minutes. Put the tin on a wire rack and let the cupcakes cool completely. Dust the tops with icing sugar. The cupcakes will keep in an airtight container for 3-5 days.
- 3-4 small raw beetroots
- 60g dark chocolate
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Makes 12
At the Farmer's Market with Kids: Recipe and Projects for Little Hands by Leslie Jonath
Recipes & FoodOrganix passion fruit cake
Organix passion fruit cake A no-junk treat, it won't last long as it's got no...
Recipes & FoodHomemade jaffa cakes
Homemade jaffa cakes Why not try making your own delicious boozy jaffa cakes...
Recipes & FoodSamoas
Samoas A grown-up cookie drizzled with dark chocolate and smothered in coconut...
Recipes & FoodVanilla cupcakes with chocolate frosting
Vanilla cupcakes with chocolate frosting Try these healthy and delicious...