Recipe: Tasty spaghetti and meatballs
Tasty meatballs made from tender beef mince flavoured with herbs, served with a mixed vegetable tomato sauce and spaghetti
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the mince, mixed herbs and garlic until combined. Season with freshly ground black pepper then, using your hands, shape the mixture into 12 balls.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the meatballs and cook for 10 minutes, turning regularly, until golden all over.
- Drain off any excess from the pan, then pour in the pasta sauce. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 10 minutes. If the sauce is a little thick, add a few tablespoons of boiling water.
- While the sauce is simmering, bring a medium pan of water to the boil, add the carrots and cook for 7 mins until tender, adding the celery to the pan for the final 4 minutes of cooking time. Drain then stir into the pan with the meatballs.
- Meanwhile, fill another large pan with water and bring to the boil. Add the spaghetti and cook until tender. Drain.
Divide the spaghetti between bowls, top with the meatballs and tomato sauce, and serve scattered with the Cheddar.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Serves: 4, plus leftovers for Sloppy Joes for lunch the following day
- 500g pack extra lean beef steak mince
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 500g jar tomato and herb pasta sauce
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 350g spaghetti
- 30g mild British Cheddar, finely grated
To make enough meatballs and sauce to have Sloppy Joes for lunch the next day, simply use a 750g pack mince, a 700g jar tomato and herb pasta sauce and 2 extra carrots. This will be enough for 20 meatballs – use 12 for dinner (or 3 meatballs per person) and use the remaining ones for lunch the following day. Serve them warm in white finger rolls.
Recipe courtesy of Sainsburys