Delicious fun lemon daisy cakes
These dainty little square cakes are easy to achieve and can be made quickly in large quantities for a special occasion or a cake and bake sale.
- Heat the oven to 180°C. Line a 22cm square cake tin with baking parchment.
- Sift the flour into a bowl and set aside. Using an electric mixer, beat the softened butter, caster sugar and lemon zest for about 3 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Beat in about a fifth of the beaten egg, then reduce the speed of the mixer and add 2 tablespoons of the flour. Repeat this process until all the egg is mixed in, then gently fold in the remainder of the flour.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared tin. Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 165°C and bake for about 30 minutes longer, until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for about an hour, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the lemon icing, sift the icing sugar into a small bowl and gradually add the lemon juice until you have a thick but spreadable mixture. Mix in a little food colouring, if you like.
- Turn the cake upside down, peel off the baking parchment and brush or drizzle with the lemon juice. Spread the lemon icing evenly over the surface, using a palette knife. Leave to set for 30 minutes.
- Now cut the slab into 4cm squares, using a sharp serrated knife. Clean and wipe the knife between cuts. You can leave the cakes as they are or place them in paper cake cases.
- Put the royal icing into a parchment piping bag and pipe a daisy design on each cake. Add a little yellow food colouring to the royal icing to make the flowers' centres, or use mimosa cake sprinkles.
For the lemon sponge
- 200g self-raising flour
- 200g salted butter, softened
- 200g caster sugar
- Grated zest of 2 unwaxed lemons
- 4 medium eggs, lightly beaten
- Juice of 1½ lemons
For the lemon icing
- 250g icing sugar, sifted
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Lime-green food colouring (optional)
- Royal icing to decorate
Recipe courtesy of Konditor & Cook: Deservedly Legendary Baking by Gerhard Jenne
Recipes & FoodPizza Bianco
Pizza Bianco Masterchef winner and actress Lisa Faulkner shares one of her...
Recipes & FoodCheese and chive biscuits
Cheese and chive biscuits These savoury biscuits couldn't be simpler, and you...
Recipes & FoodVeggie nuggets with curry mango dip
Veggie nuggets with curry mango dip These healthy veggie nuggets are so good...
Recipes & FoodSunflower pancakes with green pea purée
Sunflower pancakes with green pea purée Try this sunflower twist on...