Recipe: Chicken and chorizo pie with spiced paprika crumble
This is such a super-speedy recipe. Chorizo complements the chicken with its strong, smoky flavour and adds some fantastic colour.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas mark 6.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, deep-sided, heavy-based pan with a lid. Add the chorizo, onions and garlic and cook over a high heat for 4–5 minutes or until the onions begin to caramelise and the chorizo starts to release its oil.
- Add the diced potatoes and cook for 2 minutes. Add the flour and stir to combine, then pour in the chicken stock and give the mixture a good stir. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered with the lid, for 20 minutes. You may need to stir the sauce after 10 minutes to stop the mixture catching on the bottom of the pan.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cream. Pour into a large bowl and add the chicken pieces. Mix to combine then stir in the lemon zest, lemon juice and raw chopped spinach. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Now prepare the crumble. Place all the ingredients in a large bowl. Using your fingertips, rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. (Or you can do this more quickly in a food processor.)
- Spoon the chicken filling into your pie dish and sprinkle over the crumble. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes and serve piping hot!
- 1 x 2-litre ovenproof pie dish
For the filling:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 100g chorizo cooking sausage, sliced into 5mm rounds
- 2 red onions, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 250g floury potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 450ml hot chicken stock
- 150ml single cream
- 1 cooked chicken (approx. 1kg) from a deli counter, skin removed and flesh torn into large pieces
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 75g young spinach leaves, roughly chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the crumble:
- 75g plain flour
- 100g dried breadcrumbs
- 40g Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 75g butter, chilled and diced
Recipe courtesy of: The Higgidy Cookbook by Camilla Stephens is published by Quercus
Recipes & FoodLemony asparagus and ricotta tart
Lemony asparagus and ricotta tart This is a beautiful tart to celebrate...
Recipes & FoodRecipe: Chicken pot pie
Recipe: Try this chicken pot pie A pot pie is a baked savoury pie completely...
Recipes & FoodBeef Bourguignon pie
Delicious Beef Bourguignon pie With soft pieces of beef, salty bacon lardons...