Recipe: Spiced chocolate & sweet potato brownies
These gluten-free brownies can be eaten just as they are for a delicious afternoon tea or snack, or they can be plated for a special dessert and served with a spoonful of crème fraîche, a dusting of raw cocoa powder and perhaps a few fresh raspberries.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4 and line a 10 x 20cm brownie tin or baking dish.
- Peel your sweet potatoes, put them into a steamer and steam for about 18–20 minutes, until completely soft. Remove them from the steamer and transfer to
a food processor along with the pitted dates and blend. ✦ Mix the remaining ingredients in a large bowl, then add the sweet potato and date mixture to the bowl and fold everything together.
- Spoon the mixture into the lined tin and cook for about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool a little before dusting with raw cacao powder, cutting and serving.
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 12 fresh Medjool dates, pitted
- 70g ground almonds
- 75g buckwheat flour
- 3 tbsps raw cocoa nibs
- 4 tbsps raw cocoa
- 3 tbsps honey
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1⁄2 tsp ground cinnamon
- A dusting of raw cocoa powder
Recipe courtesy of Nourish: Mind, Body & Soul: Mind, Body & Soul