Warm fruit tacos
If you want to make your own puff pastry that's fine, but the ready-made stuff is ideal (and even top chefs confess to using it!). This is a lovely idea to use those more unusual fruits – and the 'guacamole' may just convert those avocado-haters.
- Pre-heat the oven to 220°C / 200°C fan / Gas 7 and take the puff pastry out of the fridge and bring to room temperature. Meanwhile, take two large pieces of foil and roll up to create two cylinder shapes. Rest these on a baking tray. Repeat so that you have four (you'll probably need to use two baking trays as the pastry will expand).
- Now it's time to get a helping hand with the hard work. Roll out the pastry block to a square of approx 35cm x 35cm. Roll in straight lines using a rolling pin, turning the pastry as you go. Younger children might need a hand getting it square.
- Small hands might need some help with this bit; in a corner cut away a 14cm circle of pastry using a cookie cutter or saucer. Do this again three times so you have four circles.
- With a fork, prick across the middle of the circles then drape each one over the rolled up foil. Bake for approx seven minutes. Then remove, allow to cool for a minute or so (until cool enough to touch), then very carefully lift each one off the foil and turn over, removing the foil.
- Use the back of a teaspoon to slightly flatten the bottom then place back in the oven for another two or three minutes until cooked and golden. (You may need to push some more rolled up foil against the sides to stop them expanding out – you want to keep the 'taco' shape).
- Leave the tacos to cool slightly then melt the Bertolli spread and warm up and combine with the 4 tsp honey in a pan. Add your tropical fruit and gentle sauté for a few minutes until warmed through.
- The final touches are ideal for children to add their creativity to this dish; either mash or blend the banana and avocado, placing in a bowl.
- Place the tacos on plates and divide up the fruit filling equally, pouring the warm honey sauce over and inside the shells. Serve with the 'guacamole'!
- 1 x 500g block of ready-to-roll puff pastry
- 4 tsp Bertolli spread
- 4 tsp honey
- Chopped tropical fruits, for 4 people (e.g. pineapple, mango, strawberries, kiwi, blueberries, figs...)
For the guacamole:
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/2 an avocado (no stone or peel)
This recipe is part of the Persil Cook with the Kids Campaign
Recipes & FoodFondant hedgehog cupcakes
Fondant hedgehog cupcakes Want to learn how to make these lovely cupcake-...
Recipes & FoodPressed sandwiches
Pressed sandwiches These posh pressed sandwiches would make a great addition to...
Recipes & FoodAlmond granola bars
Almond granola bars These almond-scented granola bars are a wonderful, healthy...
Recipes & FoodSummery sausage rolls
Summery sausage rolls A summery, lighter take on the comfort food classic....