Blackberry and Rose Geranium cake
- Make the syrup the day before you want to eat the cake. Place 3 of the chopped geranium leaves, the rosewater, honey and lemon juice in a small saucepan. Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer until reduced to about 2–3 tablespoons.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Taste and add the extra leaf if you like or another teaspoon of rosewater. Leave to infuse overnight, then strain.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease and flour a 20cm loose-bottomed cake tin.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter with an electric hand mixer, add 2–3 tablespoons of the flour, beat briefly, then add the eggs, one at a time, and beat for a further minute or until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Mix in the vanilla extract and maple syrup. Add the remaining flour, the baking powder and cornflour,folding gently to combine.
- Arrange the whole rose geranium leaves in the bottom of the prepared tin.
- Scrape in the cake mixture, level the surface and bake in the oven for 50 minutes, or until the centre springs back to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin.
- Gently turn the cooled cake out of the tin and place upside down on a board or plate. Carefully peel off the leaves and discard.
- To make the filling, whip the cream to ribbon consistency, add the vanilla extract and honey and fold in carefully – do not overmix.
- Slice the cake in half horizontally; use a skewer to prick holes in the top of each layer and then pour over the syrup.
- Place the bottom layer on a plate, spread the cream over the top and sprinkle two thirds of the blackberries over the cream.
- Press the other cake layer on top, dust with icing sugar, if you wish, and decorate with the remaining blackberries and rose geranium leaves and flowers.
- 225g unsalted butter, softened
- 200g white spelt flour, sifted
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 225g maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 25g cornflour
- 6 young sweet rose geranium leaves, flattened, plus extra leaves and flowers to decorate
For the syrup
- 4 sweet rose geranium leaves, chopped
- 3 teaspoons rosewater
- 50g light honey
- juice of 1/2 lemon
For the filling
- 200ml double cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 250g blackberries
These and more great recipes are featured in Love, Bake, Nourish byAmber Rose
Recipes & FoodFondant hedgehog cupcakes
Fondant hedgehog cupcakes Want to learn how to make these lovely cupcake-...
Recipes & FoodPressed sandwiches
Pressed sandwiches These posh pressed sandwiches would make a great addition to...
Recipes & FoodAlmond granola bars
Almond granola bars These almond-scented granola bars are a wonderful, healthy...
Recipes & FoodSummery sausage rolls
Summery sausage rolls A summery, lighter take on the comfort food classic....