Rose water and pistachio pavlova
This is definitely a firm favourite of mine and, for me, scattering rose petals on top is an absolute must – this dessert is not just for the palate, it’s for the soul, something to be made with love for a very special occasion.
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment and mark on it a circle 25cm in diameter.
- Mix the cornflour and vinegar until thoroughly combined and lump-free. In a large clean bowl, whisk the egg whites with the salt until stiff peaks form, then add the sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, alternating with small amounts of the vinegar mix, until everything is thoroughly combined. The meringue should be thick, smooth and glossy. Fold through the rose water and half the pistachio nuts.
- Using a large spoon, dollop the mixture a spoonful at a time just inside the circle on your parchment, then add another layer if you need more height. Lastly fill the centre, thus creating a large nest-like shape with beautiful swirls. (Use your finger, if you like, to create extra flicks and shapes.) Sprinkle over the remaining pistachios.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and immediately turn down the oven to 100C. Bake the meringue for 2 hours. It is done when the outside is crispy and when tapped, the bottom should be firm. then turn off the oven but leave the door slightly ajar and allow the meringue to cool in the oven.
- When you are ready to serve, whip the cream until soft peaks form, then fold in the vanilla extract and icing sugar to taste. Hull the strawberries and cut into halves or quarters, depending on size. Place the meringue on a serving plate, spoon the cream into the centre, cover with the strawberries, and sprinkle with rose petals and chopped pistachios. Enjoy with all your favourite people.
Ingredients - Serves 6-8
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 5 large free-range egg whites
- Pinch of salt
- 180g unrefined golden caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon rose water, or to taste
- 60g pistachios, plus extra to decorate, finely chopped
- A few rose petals, to decorate
For the cream
- 300ml double cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unrefined icing sugar, or to taste 400g strawberries
These and more great recipes are featured in Love, Bake, Nourish by Amber Rose
Recipes & FoodFondant hedgehog cupcakes
Fondant hedgehog cupcakes Want to learn how to make these lovely cupcake-...
Recipes & FoodPressed sandwiches
Pressed sandwiches These posh pressed sandwiches would make a great addition to...
Recipes & FoodAlmond granola bars
Almond granola bars These almond-scented granola bars are a wonderful, healthy...
Recipes & FoodSummery sausage rolls
Summery sausage rolls A summery, lighter take on the comfort food classic....