Simply delicious: Spiced fairy cakes
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line a 12-hole fairy cake tray with paper cases.
- Mix the dry ingredients together into a bowl. Cream the butter for about 4 minutes using an electric hand mixer until very pale and fluffy, add a heaped tablespoon of the flour mix and whisk to incorporate.
- Add an egg and whisk for a further minute, then add another heaped 1–2 tablespoons of the flour mix and whisk again before cracking in the second egg. Continue whisking until you have a light, fluffy mixture (if it looks as if it’s curdling, add another tablespoon of the flour mix).
- Add the rest of the dry ingredients, the maple syrup, orange zest and raisins. Gently and lightly fold everything together until thoroughly combined, adding a little milk at the end – just enough to give you a soft dropping consistency.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared cases, trying to fill the cases evenly, and bake in the oven for 15–20 minutes. The cakes are ready if they spring back to the touch when lightly pressed in the centre. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the icing, mix the cream cheese, lemon zest and maple syrup until smooth and creamy, adding a little squeeze of lemon juice at the end. Spoon a little icing on top of each of the cooled cakes and spread with a small palette knife or use the back of a teaspoon. Decorate with the flowers.
- 125g white spelt flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mixed spice
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 125g maple syrup
- Finely grated zest of 1/2 unwaxed orange
- 30g seedless raisins, roughly chopped
- 2–3 tablespoons milk
For the icing
- 300g cream cheese
- Finely grated zest of 1 unwaxed lemon and a squeeze of the juice
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup (or honey)
- Edible spring flowers, fresh or crystallised, to decorate
These and more great recipes are featured in Love, Bake, Nourish by Amber Rose
Recipes & FoodFondant hedgehog cupcakes
Fondant hedgehog cupcakes Want to learn how to make these lovely cupcake-...
Recipes & FoodPressed sandwiches
Pressed sandwiches These posh pressed sandwiches would make a great addition to...
Recipes & FoodAlmond granola bars
Almond granola bars These almond-scented granola bars are a wonderful, healthy...
Recipes & FoodSummery sausage rolls
Summery sausage rolls A summery, lighter take on the comfort food classic....