12 essential items to pack in your newborn baby's hospital bag
A handy checklist to help you prepare for baby's arrival
In addition to your hospital bag, you'll need a basic list of items for your newest arrival. Midwife Lesley Gilchrist shares with us her ultimate bag packing list for a newborn. 'Your bag should be packed in this order as this reflects when you’ll be likely to use them,' says Lesley. 'The first item on the list should go at the bottom of your bag.'
‘After seeing many births over many years the abiding memory I have is the carnage that is the hunt for the nappies and baby clothes in the bottom of mum’s bag. Having a small separate bag [for your newborn] eliminates this,’ says Lesley.
What to pack...
1. Cotton wool - for cleaning baby's bottom with water
2. Wipes - you may choose to use wipes. Look for ones that contain only water
3. x 3 muslin cloths
4. 10 size 1 nappies
5. 1 hat
6. x 3 vests with poppers - newborn size, unless you are expecting a baby over 10lbs, then you'll need 0-3 months and size 2 nappies
7. x 3 sleepsuits - sizing as above
8. A cellular or muslin blanket to wrap baby in - you may want to sleep with this blanket before the birth to get your scent on it
In a plastic bag on top of the above, pack the following quick kit:
9. x 1 nappy
10. x 1 vest
11. x 1 sleepsuit
12. x 1 hat
Don't miss our guides to the essential, and more unusual, things to pack in your hospital bags: